Transferring Credit to Richmond

First-year students can receive credit for courses by examination or by transferring credit earned through another college or university.

To receive credit for either an Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) test or for college courses taken during high school, you must have the examining agency or college send your scores or grades directly to the University of Richmond.

Expand All
  • Dual Enrollment Credit

    Students seeking transfer credit for coursework transcripted by another school should also submit the Transfer Work Certification form if their coursework meets the all of following criteria:

    1. Was taught on the college campus
    2. Was taught by a regular college professor (not a high school teacher)
    3. Was cataloged in the official college catalog
    4. Was offered primarily for enrolled college students (i.e. high school graduates)

    If the coursework completed does not meet all of the above criteria the credit likely will not transfer, as most departments at the University do not award transfer credit for dual enrollment courses. For a complete description of the dual-enrollment policy, please see the University’s Credit By Examination Policy.

    Transfer work and test scores are evaluated on a first-in first-out basis. While every effort is made to process them prior to registration, transcripts or scores received after July 12 may not be processed until after registration.

    Registration Note

    If you have received an acceptable score on an AP exam and think you may be awarded credit for the exam, you should not register for a comparable course as a part of your schedule.

    Transfer Work Note

    Students must complete 28 units of University of Richmond-approved work toward the undergraduate degree, which includes exchange and study abroad programs, approved visiting away and off-campus programs as well as courses taken through dual degree and cross-registration programs.

  • Advanced Placement (AP) Credit

    If you completed an Advanced Placement course in high school and took an AP exam administered by the College Board, make sure your official AP score report is sent directly from the College Board to the University of Richmond (college code: 5569). You may or may not receive college credit for the course, depending on your examination result.

    Please review the Credit By Exam Policy for details on what credit each exam brings with it.

    If you have not requested that your AP scores be sent to the University of Richmond (college code: 5569), you should contact the College Board and make that request. You may call toll free at 1-888-225-5427 or contact the College Board. The University cannot use AP scores sent from your high school.

    The College Board releases AP scores in the first two weeks of July. Scores received in this initial release will be evaluated and, if applicable, added to your University of Richmond transcript prior to the beginning of registration. You can expect to see the applicable AP credit on your record by mid-July. Your unofficial transcript and GradTracker are available on BannerWeb. If your scores are not on your record by mid-July, have them sent to us as soon as possible. Remember that you will have the opportunity to change your fall schedule prior to the beginning of the term (as well as a two week add/drop period once the term has begun to make further changes).

    No Duplicate Credit

    A student may not receive credit for the same course more than once, so for example: if you have a score of 5 on the AP Psychology course and receive 1 unit of credit for PSYC 100, you would not receive 1 more unit of credit if you later took PSYC 100 at the University of Richmond.

  • International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit

    The University of Richmond recognizes Higher Level exams only in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. Official test results must be sent directly from the IB Organization to the University of Richmond before credit may be applied towards a program of study. You may or may not receive college credit for the course, depending on your examination result.

    Please review the Credit By Exam Policy for details on what credit each exam brings with it.