Special Situations

First-Year Seminar (FYS 100)

First-year students are required to complete one first-year seminar (FYS 100) during their first semester and an additional first-year seminar during their second semester. (Transfer students with 6.83 units or more of credit are exempt from the FYS requirement and need not register for FYS 100.) Each section of FYS 100 is worth 1 unit of credit.

You must register yourself for a section of FYS 100 during the summer-registration period. If you do not, the Registrar's Office will register you for one at the end of the summer-registration period.

Wellness 100 (WELL 100) and Wellness 101 (WELL 101)

Every undergraduate student must complete a three-part wellness series prior to graduation. Before arriving on campus, first-year and transfer students will complete both AlcoholEdu and Haven, an online alcohol prevention and education program. Once on campus, students will complete WELL 100 in their first semester. Students are also required to complete one WELL 101 health education topics course prior to the start of their 5th semester of enrollment. 

After registering for your credit-bearing classes, you should add WELL 100 to your schedule. If you do not do so, the Registrar's Office will register you for a section of WELL 100 prior to orientation. Students who have not satisfactorily completed the Wellness requirement by registration for the spring semester of their second year will have an administrative hold put on their record and will not be able to register until they have made arrangements to take the class.

For more details on the Wellness requirement, please visit the Registrar's website.

Second Languages

All students are required to meet the COM2 language requirement by demonstrating proficiency in a second language. Students are encouraged to complete the COM2 requirement during the first year. If you decide to register for a modern second language, you must register at the appropriate level.

Any student who has previously completed three to four years of a second language may not register for the elementary level of that language. Those who do so will be dropped from the elementary class at the end of the pre-registration period.

School of Professional & Continuing Studies Courses

Any class with a number ending in “U” (e.g., ACCT 300U) is a School of Professional & Continuing Studies (SPCS) course and is not available to you for online registration. To register for an SPCS course, you will need to go to SPCS. You may not register for an SPCS course prior to the first day of classes. No SPCS course may fulfill a general education requirement. It is up to each individual department to determine whether or not the course is applicable towards majors/minors in that department. Undergraduate students in Arts & Sciences, the Robins School of Business, and the Jepson School may apply no more than four SPCS courses toward their degree requirements.

Cross-Listed Courses

Some classes that apply to more than one discipline are cross listed in two or more departments. Each department has a limited number of seats in the class. In some cases, it may appear that there are seats available in a cross-listed course when those seats are actually filled under another department’s limit. If you are interested in registering for a cross-listed course and find that it is full under one department, you may wish to attempt to register for it under its cross-listed department(s).

Cultures and Languages Across the Curriculum

Cultures and Languages Across the Curriculum offers .25 unit, pass/fail courses in a variety of languages. CLAC sections are usually taught by international students or bilingual students, and they are taught in conjunction with primary courses throughout the curriculum, in the schools of arts & sciences, business, and leadership studies.